Monday 13 February 2012

My Holiday

Hunting, fishing and being outdoors is where I feel most comfortable. They are some of my favourite hobbies and they are really enjoyable. I like being in amongst nature and all its beauty.

Every holiday I spend at my grandparents farm is enjoyable. We go hunting for pigs and deer mostly. Being outdoors and in the bush is peaceful to me because I listen to the birds chirping and the tree's swaying in the wind. My dad and I were walking back to the motorbike one day in the holidays when we heard pigs in some long grass. We could hear them grunting and we could smell the stench of 2 billy goats that they were feasting on. So I whispered to my dad " I'll try and catch one aye ". I got down on all fours and slowly started to crawl through the long grass. They were all surrounding the goats that my uncle had shot earlier on in the week, I lay still watching them through a hole I made in the grass. I counted 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 black pigs, that were all about knee height, then I spotted the runt which was significantly smaller than his 10 brothers and sisters. He had a unique colour, he was ginger with black spots all over. I started slowly crawling through this swampy grass trying not to make any sound and stopped behind a bush. I lay completely still as I saw a pig coming towards me, he came about arms length away before he smelt me and turned around to join up with his friends again. I crawled around behind them, I could've grabbed a couple by their hind legs and dragged them out, but then I jumped up, after that all you could see was all these black pigs running in all different directions. Then I started to sprint for any pig that came into arms length, but they were all to quick for me. Then I focused on the little runt that wasnt quite as fast as the others. He ran straight over a small bank and face first into the mud. he got stuck for a couple of seconds which let me catch up and just grab him by the legs before he took off running again. My whole body was pumping with adrenaline, I carried him back up to the top of the bank while my dad tied his legs up with some string. He wasnt very happy about being man handled and tried to bite my dad. We tied him down to the motorbike and then we were off home. I showed everyone my pig and had a photo with him, then I took him back up the hill near where I caught him and cut him free.

This was one of my highlights of the holidays. Being out and about all day in the bush is exciting because you never know what could be hiding in the long grass. =) 

2 comments:

  1. What a great holiday story! You write really well!
    There are a few little errors - missing capital letter here and there and the apostrophe in 'wasn't'.
    This is a great bit of writing. I am glad you have figured out how to use blogger and have completed your home learning.
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like fun you should take me next time. hahaha

    ReplyDelete